1/11/07 Wow 1 Year already!
Letter 1/8/07
So things are doing amazingly here! Last Sunday some 23-yr-old guy named Cecil came to church. Our branch president cornered him and said he should ask us to give him the lessons, so he did. I gave him a Book of Mormon from the church library and testified about the book and explained what it is and its importance, just briefly. Then I gave him the three places to read. Our first visit with him was on Monday, and he's been dating the daughter of this member family. They've even been talking about marriage. Anyway, I asked him about his reading and how his prayer went. He said he felt something "amazing." He had a hard time describing it, but he said it felt "tingly all over and a warmth from the inside of me." I told him that was the Spirit. He responded, "Well, it was something!" We taught him the message of the restoration, explained the covenant and importance of baptism, and I committed him to be baptized. He said yes, so I committed him to pray about a date and have one for us for the next visit, which was Thursday. On Thursday, he was a lot more sure about all of this, and was very excited, in fact. He had questions about being sealed in the temple, and why his family couldn't go to that. He wanted to know exactly what will happen during the baptismal service, etc. On Thursday he said he'd been praying, and felt that the 21st of this month would be right. We agreed, so that's what we're shooting for.
We have been teaching an investigator named Matt. He's married to a member. It was interesting. The last meeting we had with them Lacy, his wife, was the one with a concern that was really bothering her. She didn't see it as fair that those who accept Christ but aren't faithful wouldn't go to the Celestial Kingdom. It was still a good discussion and we had her brother there to help out as well. They were all at church this last week.
We also found someone named Gary who's mother runs the laundromat where we do laundry. We talked with him on the street last week and have taught him twice before church and he came to church.
We taught 34 other lessons this last week, a new record for me. We adapted a Preach My Gospel technique of finding and combined it with some direction by a Seventy who visited last summer. With that, we are teaching a lot more. We also had many member present lessons and are just so grateful with how the Lord has blessed us and this area.
I gave Dylan Harrington the Aaronic priesthood on Sunday. What a neat experience. We ordained Kyle, his brother, a priest and then he was able to stand in the circle for his brother. They are so great! They're cruising through the Book of Mormon (Mosiah now). (Note: they were baptised on Chris' birthday, 12/10).
I got word that beginning this transfer my last area, Holt, is now two areas. President Edwards decided to split the area into Holt North and Holt South. It was really needed, as Elder Tuft and the elder that replaced me were having a hard time keeping track of everyone in the teaching pool and the ward was on fire to missionary work. They even have a spanish elder, which is great because I found a spanish family there who were really interested.
I hope everyone's doing well. I turn 12 this week. Amazing, that half my mission is pretty much done with. What a neat experience. No offense ;), but if I could serve another full two years here I would. It's been amazing.
Chris
So things are doing amazingly here! Last Sunday some 23-yr-old guy named Cecil came to church. Our branch president cornered him and said he should ask us to give him the lessons, so he did. I gave him a Book of Mormon from the church library and testified about the book and explained what it is and its importance, just briefly. Then I gave him the three places to read. Our first visit with him was on Monday, and he's been dating the daughter of this member family. They've even been talking about marriage. Anyway, I asked him about his reading and how his prayer went. He said he felt something "amazing." He had a hard time describing it, but he said it felt "tingly all over and a warmth from the inside of me." I told him that was the Spirit. He responded, "Well, it was something!" We taught him the message of the restoration, explained the covenant and importance of baptism, and I committed him to be baptized. He said yes, so I committed him to pray about a date and have one for us for the next visit, which was Thursday. On Thursday, he was a lot more sure about all of this, and was very excited, in fact. He had questions about being sealed in the temple, and why his family couldn't go to that. He wanted to know exactly what will happen during the baptismal service, etc. On Thursday he said he'd been praying, and felt that the 21st of this month would be right. We agreed, so that's what we're shooting for.
We have been teaching an investigator named Matt. He's married to a member. It was interesting. The last meeting we had with them Lacy, his wife, was the one with a concern that was really bothering her. She didn't see it as fair that those who accept Christ but aren't faithful wouldn't go to the Celestial Kingdom. It was still a good discussion and we had her brother there to help out as well. They were all at church this last week.
We also found someone named Gary who's mother runs the laundromat where we do laundry. We talked with him on the street last week and have taught him twice before church and he came to church.
We taught 34 other lessons this last week, a new record for me. We adapted a Preach My Gospel technique of finding and combined it with some direction by a Seventy who visited last summer. With that, we are teaching a lot more. We also had many member present lessons and are just so grateful with how the Lord has blessed us and this area.
I gave Dylan Harrington the Aaronic priesthood on Sunday. What a neat experience. We ordained Kyle, his brother, a priest and then he was able to stand in the circle for his brother. They are so great! They're cruising through the Book of Mormon (Mosiah now). (Note: they were baptised on Chris' birthday, 12/10).
I got word that beginning this transfer my last area, Holt, is now two areas. President Edwards decided to split the area into Holt North and Holt South. It was really needed, as Elder Tuft and the elder that replaced me were having a hard time keeping track of everyone in the teaching pool and the ward was on fire to missionary work. They even have a spanish elder, which is great because I found a spanish family there who were really interested.
I hope everyone's doing well. I turn 12 this week. Amazing, that half my mission is pretty much done with. What a neat experience. No offense ;), but if I could serve another full two years here I would. It's been amazing.
Chris


2 Comments:
At 9:38 PM,
Maren said…
Yeah! Nice long letter. He's doing an amazing job out there; thanks for keeping us posted!
At 9:50 PM,
Paul said…
:)
Post a Comment
<< Home